Orlando Pro Summer League Day 5: Thoughts and Tidbits
The Magic* finally broke their 4 day losing streak today and came out with a hard fought victory over the Charlotte Bobcats*. The Magic were led in scoring by Paul Davis who continued his strong summer league showing with 24 points and 8 rebounds (6 offensive). Stanley Robinson had his strongest game of the week scoring 13 points and pulling down a team high 10 rebounds. Robinson also had one of the top dunks of the week with a ferocious windmill slam off of a fastbreak. The crowd of ~55 people all collectively made the universal “oooooooooohh” call after the dunk, which is of course reserved strictly for impressive basketball feats.
Daniel Orton struggled again today offensively and his final stat line read 3 points, 0 rebounds and 2 blocked shots in 20 minutes. Despite those ridiculously awful numbers, Orton actually looked better today. He played with more energy on defense for the most part and was getting physical with the Bobcat* big men who were trying to bully him around. He even complained to the refs a few times after some bad calls that went against him. So the good news take away from this game is that Orton does actually have some fire inside him. Unfortunately he seemed to lose his composure pretty quickly as well. Add that to the “must improve” list. He also had two athletic blocked shots and threw down his first and only dunk of the week. After the dunk, I wrote down the following note: “Orton dunked. Missed free throw. ”
Other random observations from day five:
- Joe Crawford finished the day with 14 points and ended the week as the Magic*s leading scorer at 17.8 ppg. Curtis Stinson had 14 points and 7 assists.
- The Magic* only dressed 8 players for the game today as Patrick Ewing Jr, Trey Gilder, Yaroslav Korolev, Ben McCauley, Jerome Randle and Sean Singletary were all absent from the RDV Sportsplex.
- The Magic announced the 2010 AirTran Airways All-Summer League teams at the conclusion of the final game. You can read the selections here.
- I spoke with Doug Collins one on one and I asked him about the way he’s been much more involved than the other coaches that are/were present. He said that it’s his way of encouraging his young team. I asked if it was on purpose or just his style and he shook his head with a smile, “style”.
- The more I watched Gordon Hayward this week the more I liked him. Despite looking like a Macy’s mannequin when not on the court, he showed a very solid all-around game when on the court.
- I spoke with Denis Clemente, the former Kansas State PG, after the final game and he said that he is hoping to pick up with a team in the Vegas Summer League. He was obviously frustrated with his lack of minutes for the Bobcats* and had a hard time showcasing his talents. So far he has heard from the Pistons, Bucks and Heat about playing in Vegas.
- The trade exception that the Magic acquired for Hedo last year expired unused.
The Orlando Pro Summer league is officially a wrap. It will be interesting to see where all these players end up and if any are able to make the permanent roster come the Fall.