Game Recap: Magic overpower Nets for another big victory
November 05, 2010
The Magic overcame a sloppy first half against the New Jersey Nets tonight and won by a final score of 105-90. The Magic were led by Dwight Howard’s 30 point, 16 rebound performance. Dwight was just as strong defensively as well, shutting down New Jersey’s Brook Lopez who finished with only 10 points and 5 rebounds on 3-17 shooting. Lopez had no answer for Dwight and at one point was 0-13 from the field. Despite the 15 point victory, the Magic were actually trailing at halftime by a score of 51-48. The team came out flat and had very little defensive intensity until late in the first half. That all turned around in the second half as the team came out fired up and had a completely different mentality for the remainder of the game.
- Ryan Anderson started again at the 4 tonight, however he was pulled after only playing 7 minutes and never returned. Stan said after the game that he thought his pick-n-roll defense was really lacking and decided to go back to Rashard at the 4 when it was time for Ryan to come back in. Stan stressed again that he would play the matchups, so I wouldn’t read too much into the benching.
- Speaking of benching, Mickael Pietrus returned back to the rotation tonight. He was inserted into the lineup with two minutes left in the first half and sparked a late run to cut the lead to three. Stan decided to start him for the second half and said after the game that he started him because of the energy plays he made.
- Stan also emphasized in the post game press conference that he would continue to use his entire roster and would make his playing decisions based not only on matchups, but also on who was bringing the most energy. He said that obviously he would have more slack with Jameer, Vince, Rashard and Dwight, but that everyone else would have to constantly bring it. He stated that he can deal with missed shots, but he can’t deal with less than 100% effort.
- Rashard Lewis continued his shooting struggles again tonight, specifically from long range. Rashard is 4-20 from 3-point distance so far.
- Jameer Nelson scored a season-high 20 points added six assists tonight. He had 10 points in the decisive third quarter and came out of the halftime aggressive and looking for his shit.
- New Jersey rookie Derrick Favors had been playing pretty well so far this season, but had a rough night tonight scoring only four points and pulling down only four rebounds in 16 minutes. Favors did have an impressive block of Dwight Howard in the first quarter.
- The Magic have controlled the opening tip in all four games this season. Last season, the Magic controlled the opening tip in 54 of the team’s games.
The next Magic game is tomorrow night in Charlotte against the Bobcats. Game time is set for 7PM and will be televised locally on FSN Florida (Bright House HD channel 1149 or 50, DirecTV channel 656-1 and DISH HD channel 9516 or 446).